Updated 08/22/2017: We have extended the deadline for the expressions of interest to midnight on Saturday, August 26, 2017
One Voice Chorus acknowledges that we gather, create and sing on Treaty 7 land, the traditional territory of the Blackfoot Confederacy, and that we are all treaty people.
Call open to: Indigenous Graphic Designers and Visual Artists residing in Canada
Deadline for submissions: Saturday, August 26, 2017
Graphic Design Opportunity
Design the poster and accompanying graphic pieces for the first show of OVC’s 2017-2018 concert season:
Bridges – Saturday, November 25, 2017
Proposed tagline: Stories from the past, hopes for the future
In this concert, One Voice Chorus welcomes Indigenous guest artists to explore the idea of bridges: between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples; between queer and Indigenous communities; between the past and the future; and the respected role of the two-spirit person in Indigenous culture as the bridge between male and female energies.
Feel of the concert: hopeful, collaborative, respectful, solemn but joyful
Graphic pieces required (all full-colour):
- Poster (print & electronic) – 11” x 17” – portrait or landscape – 2 PDFs, 300 dpi – one with printer cut lines, one without
- Postcard (print) – 4” x 6” – portrait or landscape (scaled-down version of poster) – 2 PDFs, 300 dpi – one with printer cut lines, one without
- Cover artwork for concert program – 5.5” x 8.5” – portrait orientation – JPG or PNG, 300 dpi
- Website graphic – 290 pixels x 430 pixels – JPG, 72 dpi
- Graphic for Facebook event page (banner) – 1920 x 1080 px – JPG or PNG, 72 dpi
- Header graphic for Twitter, accounting for profile picture and invisible area – 1500 x 500 px – JPG or PNG, 72 dpi – maximum file size of 10MB
Tentative timeline for deliverables*:
Sep 4 Three poster concepts due
Sep 11 1st draft poster due
Sep 18 2nd draft poster due
Sep 21 3rd draft poster, 1st draft postcard due
Sep 26 Final poster due
Sep 28 2nd draft postcard due
Oct 3 Final postcard due
Oct 6 1st draft online graphics due
Oct 13 Final online graphics due
Oct 18 1st draft program cover due
Oct 24 2nd draft program cover due
Oct 27 Final program cover due
*Tentative timeline includes three feedback rounds for the concert poster; up to two feedback rounds for the postcard, and program cover; and one feedback round for each of the online graphics. The tentative timeline is also subject to change based on discussion with the selected designer/artist.
The fee paid by OVC will be a lump sum fee, determined by designer/artist suggestion and industry norms for charitable organizations, and subject to the approval of OVC’s Board of Directors. The selected designer will be expected to invoice OVC for the work.
Required Elements for Submission
- Summary of your graphic design/artistic experience
- Samples of your previous graphic design work/artwork, in PDF format, or a link to your online portfolio
- A brief description of your ideas for this poster, sketches welcome in PDF format (Note: All ideas presented will be held in strict confidence and will not be used by OVC in any way without the designer’s explicit permission.)
- Fee you would charge for this work
- Confirmation that you are able to accommodate the design timelines
Indigenous Graphic Designers and Visual Artists are invited to signal their interest in this opportunity by submitting the required elements by email to OVC’s General Manager at email@example.com by midnight on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
Visual artists of all mediums are invited to respond to this post. As long as your work can be digitized, you are eligible for this contract. If you work in a non-digital medium, photos of your work will suffice as an expression of your interest in the contract. The photos must be clear representations of your work and style. Should you be chosen for the contract, OVC will arrange for a graphic designer to collaborate on the project, so the work and fees will be split.
OVC’s Artistic Director and General Manager will review the submissions received and select a designer by Monday, August 28, 2017. A contract will be drawn up with the selected designer for the delivery of these services.